What was the Reason for the Refusal of Your Spouse’s Open Work Permit?

Foreign nationals who are studying or working in Canada may assist their spouse in finding work in the country. This is possible through a Spouse Open Work Permit. However, applying for this special work permit can be challenging, and it’s usual for candidates to get rejected for several reasons.

About Spouse Open Work Permit

The Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) is a unique kind of work permit that permits its holders to employment with any Canadian employer. Usually, it is given to the spouses or common-law partners of temporary workers and foreign students studying in Canada. Additionally, those who have been sponsored for permanent residency are also eligible for this work visa.

Many of the most common reasons why applications for Spouse Open Work Permits are denied by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Let’s look at some common Canada Spousal Open Work Permit rejection reasons.

Relationship Proof

Applicants for a Spouse Open Work Permit must demonstrate a genuine relationship with their spouse who is living, working, or attending school in Canada. In some circumstances, presenting a marriage license may be adequate, but if you’ve only recently gotten married, it’s best to offer other supporting documentation.

Moreover, if you are in a common-law relationship with a partner who lives, works, or attends school in Canada, you will need to present additional documentation because you lack a marriage certificate.

Insufficient and Lack of Proof of Funds

You need to show that you have the resources to support your stay in Canada. This financial evidence can be presented in the form of financial records; such as bank statements from the previous six months. The minimal amount of funds applicants need is unknown according to IRCC. However, it is best to maintain a minimum of $13,000 CAD in your account before applying for the permit.

Failure to prove your intent to live in Canada

If your spouse is temporarily working or studying in Canada,  you must show that you intend to leave Canada at the end of your stay. By including a compelling cover letter, you can prove that you want to leave Canada. In order to prove that you own a company or other property in your nation of residence, you should additionally present supporting documentation.

Employment Proof

You must provide evidence of your spouse’s or common-law partner’s employment in Canada if they are a married couple. These documents can be used as proof of this:

  • Copy of spouse’s work permit
  • Pay stubs from the spouse’s employer
  • A letter from the spouse’s employer confirming that they are employed at the company.

Austin Campbell

Austin has been quite active in the immigration arena since 2010. He has authored over 250 immigration publications, given over 70 presentations, and organized numerous events featuring federal and provincial immigration ministers and leaders from other sectors. He is a graduate of the University of Toronto and Durham University.
View Profile View All Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.