Know If Someone Can Move to Canada with a Criminal Record

Immigrants with a criminal record are inadmissible to Canada. Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer can stop you from entering Canada if you have a criminal record, however, one has a slight possibility to cross the border if prepared in advance. The federal government of Canada distinguishes those with criminal records are capable of being rehabilitated and also do not pose any risk to the security of Canadians. Move to Canada with the help of three ways to overcome criminal inadmissibility.

Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)

This allows the person who is inadmissible to Canada to cross the border on a temporary basis. This is valid for up to three years and one is required to submit the TRP application to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada with a compelling reason why one should be allowed to enter the country by outweighing the potential risks. U.S. citizens and permanent residents can submit their TRP application when they move to Canada or can get pre-approved by submitting their application at a Canadian consulate. All foreign nationals can submit their application to the Canadian consulate with applicable fees of CAD 200.


Rehabilitation is the permanent way to overcome criminal inadmissibility in Canada. Once one is rehabilitated, the criminal record is longer stands to deny your entry into the country. There are two types of rehabilitation.

Individual Rehabilitation

It is a way if it has been at least five years since the end of the sentence. Individual rehabilitation comes with either $2000 or $1000 application fees based upon the severity of the conviction. The applicant is required to exhibit the proof of rehabilitation and is no longer susceptible to conducting criminal acts. One can do that by offering evidence of a stable lifestyle, steps are taken to improve behavior, and to name a few.

Deemed Rehabilitation
It is an option when your conviction was a less severe crime and at least 10 years have gone by since the end of your sentence. One will automatically be given deemed rehabilitation due to the passage of time. However, to be on the safer side one must get a Legal Opinion Letter to prove to the CBSA officer that you should be allowed into the country.

Legal Opinion Letter

This is the third option. The letters are prepared by the lawyers and they explain to CBSA why they should allow you to enter Canada. Your lawyer can explain facts like you’re deemed rehabilitation, your offense was not serious, or there is no Canadian equivalent to your offense. Such letters can help you with TRP and rehabilitation applications. Again, it is very important to take professional advice so that you can enter Canada without any difficulties.

Margaret Cooley

Margaret is a freelance writer and a photojournalist. She is from Manitoba, Alberta, B.C, and now living in Quebec. She has impeccable exposure to life in multiple communities across Canada which helps her connect with readers better. She effectively throws light on the Canadian immigration system with her opinions that drive engaging and comprehensive content.
View Profile View All Posts



Thanks for your blog, nice to read. Do not stop.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.